Why Visit a Pediatric Dentist – Lincoln, NE
Qualified to Care for Young Smiles
Are you looking for a dentist to care for your child’s smile? During your search, you may have discovered that there are two types of dentists who welcome children into their practice: family dentists, who treat all sorts of patients, and pediatric dentists. Does it really matter which one you choose for your child? It might seem more convenient to visit a family dentist, but it may be better for your young one’s oral health if you opt for a pediatric dentist instead. Let’s talk about what a pediatric dentist does and why they are uniquely qualified to look after children’s teeth and gums.
What Is a Pediatric Dentist?
There are 12 different types of dental specialties. In order to become a specialist, a dentist needs to complete extensive extra training after they finish dental school. For pediatric dentists, they must finish a two-year residency, during which they learn:
- The unique aspects of caring for a child’s oral health
- Elements of child psychology and child development
- Child-related pharmacology
- And more
After successful completion of their residency, a pediatric dentist can rightly call themselves a specialist. In their practice, they may welcome all sorts of young patients, including infants, toddlers, young children, preteens, and adolescents. Many of them also welcome special needs children whom general dentists may hesitate to treat. When necessary, a pediatric dentist partners with other local oral health experts to provide truly comprehensive care to their patients.
Benefits of Choosing a Pediatric Dentist
Choosing a pediatric dentist instead of a family dentist to care for your child’s smile can provide some significant benefits:
- Pediatric dentists have a greater awareness of children’s oral health needs. Their training equips them to diagnose and treat childhood dental issues as soon as possible, which can set your little one up for a lifetime of healthy smiles.
- Pediatric dentists and their staff members are great with kids. Visiting the dentist can be intimidating for young children. The team members in a pediatric dental office have experiencing in calming in even the most nervous little ones. The dentist may even be able to offer sedation to calm their fears.
- Pediatric dentists provide insightful coaching. Are you worried about your child’s thumb sucking habit, or are you concerned about some of your teen’s nutritional choices? A pediatric dentist has a knack for providing effective coaching to correct bad habits.
Your Local Pediatric Dentist in Lincoln
Dr. Marty Killeen of Wilderness Station Pediatric Dentistry has years of experience in his field. He is committed to staying at the forefront of his profession, which is why he maintains memberships in the American Academy of Pediatric Dentists and the American Dental Association. As a father of four, he can personally relate to the challenges that parents face when they are doing their best to look after their children’s oral health. If you would like to learn how he can care for the youngest smiles in your family, give our office a call.